Swipe is a web-app devoted to answering the simple question: What did you buy today? Like Twitter, users can type out short updates about themselves that will show up in the feeds of their followers. What makes Swipe different, though, is that these updates are all centered around the topic of purchases—either what you recently bought or what you want to buy today, tomorrow, or at some point in the future.
To start posting updates on Swipe, sign up, create a profile, and add your photo and personal information. You’ll instantly see a continually updating stream of new posts made on the Swipe network, listing the recent purchases made by Swipe users around the world. To start posting updates of your own, go to your profile page and start typing a message into the text box with information about whatever it is that you want to buy. To update your followers about a special item you’ve already purchased, click “I just bought” and use the provided space to list the price, store, and city where the purchase was made. When your status update is ready to be seen, click “Swipe it” and watch as it’s automatically added to the Swipe network activity stream.
Just like Twitter, Swipe lets users follow each other to keep up-to-date on what people are buying and how they’re using their newest purchases. Ideally, using Swipe should be a great way to find out what others are paying for the items you covet and get instant information when specific stores in your area are offering products at a discounted price. By sharing the inside scoop on all types of retail purchases, Swipe users can get ahead of the game when it comes to scoring deals at retailers and negotiating with salespeople across the world.
- Find out what your friends are buying at the mall
- Let other people know about the latest CDs you purchased at the store
- Get inside information when your favorite denim brand goes on sale
- Read real user reviews of products you’ve thought about purchasing
- Add the city and store information for any of your status updates
- Follow other Swipe users whose purchases seem intriguing
- Log in using your Facebook account or create a separate profile altogether
- Upload a photo and additional profile information to start getting more followers
What we liked:
- The application tracks the value of all the purchases you’ve entered into the site
- Users can follow other users, or their favorite stores
- The recent activity feed on Swipe’s main page is constantly updating
- Updates are broken down into two categories, listing things that have been bought and things that people want to buy
What we didn’t like:
- Some people may not feel comfortable broadcasting how much money they paid for specific items to so many people online
- Launched: 2010
- Privately Held
- Headquarters: San Francisco, California
- Founded by: Binny Mathews
- Web site: http://www.didyouswipe.com