Getaround is a peer-to-peer car-sharing program that benefits owners and renters alike. Car owners can make hundreds of dollars a month by lending out their cars for just a few hours a week, while renters get access to all types of vehicles for far less than they’d pay at a typical car rental company.
Get started getting around by joining Getaround’s free beta program. Membership is instantaneous, which means you could be browsing for available cars in your city within just five minutes of signing up for an account. Click on a photo of any car that looks nice to find out more about it, including the rental price, availability, and any special instructions. Each owner sets his or her own rental price, although most prices range from $6 to $8 per hour. Add multiple cars to your queue just like you would on Netflix. When you click “Check Out” and “Confirm,” notices will be sent to the owners of all the cars you added. The first owner to respond and accept your request will be the person whose car you will rent. Cars that have the “Getaround Carkit!” loaded can be unlocked with a smartphone, which means you can get access to vehicles without having to wait for the owners to show up and hand over their keys.
Getaround takes precautions to protect vehicle owners, and it requires that all new members submit their driver’s licenses to make sure they meet certain eligibility requirements. Getaround also handles the insurance coverage from A to Z. All drivers are offered complete liability, collision and theft coverage for the duration of their rental period. Any speeding or parking tickets that drivers incur in rented cars can be sent by the car owners to Getaround, and an affidavit will be filed with the local authorities to ensure the proper person is charged with the fine.
- Rent a car to drive when your car is in the shop.
- Make extra money by letting other people use your car while you’re at work
- Impress your date by showing up in a splashy new car
- Borrow a truck when you need to haul furniture or pick up a Craigslist purchase
- Getaround handles insurance coverage issues so renters and owners don’t have to
- Owners who install the Carkit! don’t have to meet renters to hand over their keys
- Car owners can set their own rates and decide when their vehicles are available
- Speeding tickets can be forwarded from car owners to Getaround
What we liked:
- Getaround protects owners in case their vehicles are damaged in any way
- The entire rental process, including selecting a car and opening the door, can be managed from an iPhone
- The Carkit! includes a GPS, which can be used to track the vehicle if it is ever stolen
- People who have always wanted to drive a certain type of vehicle can do so cheaply using Getaround
What we didn’t like:
- Getaround is still not available in many areas around the country
- RelayRides – https://relayrides.com
- Spride – http://www.spride.com
- Whipcar – http://www.whipcar.com
- Zipcar – http://www.zipcar.com
- Launched: May 2011
- Privately Held
- Headquarters: San Francisco, California
- Founded by: Elliot Kroo, Sam Zaid, and Jessica Scorpio
- Web site: http://www.getaround.com
- Fees vary depending on the car