Readmill is an online community where avid readers can store books, share favorite passages, and make friends with people who have similar literary tastes. The web-app is equal parts discovery engine, community forum, and cloud storage system.
Join Readmill by logging in through Twitter or Facebook, or manually entering your email address and choosing a password. Follow any friends who are already using Readmill to see what they’re reading and get personalized book recommendations. You can also explore the books that other users are enjoying and see the percentage of readers who would recommend any specific title. Click the “Mark As Interesting” button to save a book for later, or “Get This Book” to get the e-book on your tablet right away. Readmill works with e-books in ePub or PDF format, and you can easily highlight your favorite passages or make notes in the margins to share with friends.
One of the main components of Readmill is the iPad app. When you download the app, you can save your books in Readmill’s cloud library and read them on your tablet at any time. Readmill also offers an iPhone app that serves as a mobile diary of sorts, where you can list the books you’re reading and share your favorites with friends.
- Highlight your favorite passages in a Hemingway classic
- Read e-books on your iPad
- Share comments on a book with friends who use Readmill
- See what books your best friend has been reading
- Find Facebook or Twitter friends who use the Readmill app
- Download the mobile app on your iPad and iPhone
- Share your comments on a book with other Readmill users
- See how many Readmill users would recommend a book you’re thinking of reading
What we liked:
- People can store their e-books in the cloud and access them from anywhere
- iPad users can share their highlighted passages with friends
- Authors can use Readmill as a place to discuss their books with fans
- Readmill can help people discover new books worth checking out
What we didn’t like:
- People need to have iPads to really take part in the Readmill community
- Launched: December 2011
- Privately Held
- Headquarters: Berlin, Germany
- Founded by: Henrik Berggren
- Web site: https://readmill.com